Garage doors can develop leaks for a variety of reasons and affect homeowners all across Canada. A leaking garage door can become frustrating when you constantly dry out the garage and attempt to find the cause for the leak. Leaks can also lead to unwanted problems inside the garage with mold and mildew that can make it smell.
The costs and methods used to fix a garage door leak will depend on why it is leaking. Let’s take a look at some of the more common causes and how to fix these to stop the door from leaking.
- You driveway is not graded away from the home. If your driveway’s grade is higher than the garage’s and is angled towards the house, water will get inside the garage. You will want to have the driveway fixed so the grade declines gradually, away from the garage.
- You eaves are full of leaves and debris. If you eaves are full of leaves and debris, they will not drain correctly and water can overflow onto the ground right near the garage or even run down the side of the home into the garage from any small openings around the garage door.
- The seals around the garage door need replaced. Inspect the plastic/rubber seals around the exterior of the door. These can wear out and crack, causing small openings where water can get inside.
- The garage door threshold is the wrong size or needs replaced. Inspect the rubber threshold on the bottom of the garage door. Sometimes, these are not the right size or do not fit evenly to the floor, if your garage floor is uneven. They can also wear out like the seals around the door.
- Check for leaks in between garage door panels. If you have gone through the previous steps and your water is still getting in the garage, it could be coming from in between the door panels.
TIP: An easy check is find several areas that could be allowing water into the garage is to close the door on a bright sunny day. Then go into the garage, with the garage lights off, and see if sunlight is coming in from anywhere around the garage door or in between the door panels. Anywhere you can see sunlight coming in, are areas where water can get into your garage.
Even after making repairs and fixing leaks, if you are still finding water in the garage, it could be time to replace the garage door with a new one.
If you are not sure what is causing the leak, it never hurts to contact Richards-Wilcox Doors for help finding a qualified garage door repair technician to give your garage door a detailed inspection and see if the door needs repaired or replaced. Call us at (800) 667-1572 today!