Garages are highly demanded on homes in Mississauga and the GTA. They provide indoor parking for your car, added storage space, and more. However, our garages can easily get cluttered because they become a dumping ground for anything we do not want inside our homes.
Getting your garage organized starts by taking control of the situation. The first thing to do is to take an inventory of what is in your garage. It can be helpful to make three different piles as you sort – one for items you want to keep, another one for trash, and a third pile for items you can sell or donate.
With the pile of items you want to keep, you can subdivide the pile into three smaller sections – items you use seasonally, items you use occasionally, and items you use frequently. Once you have gone through everything, then next thing you will want to do is decide how you want to use your garage.
- Do you have one or more vehicles you want to park indoors year round or just the colder winter months?
- Do you want space for a second refrigerator or freezer?
- Do you want to use part of the garage space for an arts and craft area, hobby/workshop space, or kids play area?
Answering these questions will help you determine what type of design and layout will work best. There is also a wide variety of garage storage solutions you can use to maximize every square inch of space inside your garage. These include:
- Wall Hooks and Hangers – Hanger, and hooks help keep garden tools and other items off the ground and out of the way.
- Brackets– Use brackets to keep bikes and skis off the ground.
- Wood and Metal Shelves – Shelves help keep stored items better organized and easier to access.
- Built-in Shelves – If your garage is big enough, you could use built-in shelves instead of stand-alone shelving solutions.
- Overhead Shelving Units – Do not overlook the space on the ceiling. There are overhead shelving units you can install for storing seasonal items, like your holiday decorations.
- Storage Totes – Keep smaller items, toys, tools, etc., organized by using storage totes.
- Storage Cabinets – Cabinets are great when you have tools, arts and crafts items, and other things you want to store in one location.
Lastly, and equally important, do not forget about your garage door. For example, if you are going to use the garage for hobbies, arts and crafts or kids play area, then you want a custom door with windows to allow natural light in. You will also want an insulated door so you can enjoy using this space in the colder winter months and warmer summer months.
To learn more about our customizable premium residential garage doors or for assistance in finding an authorized dealer in your area, please feel free to contact our Mississauga garage door company, Richards-Wilcox Doors at (800) 667-1572 today!